Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Hey Hey Hey That's What I Say

It seems totally appropriate that the on-hold music for the MTA bus system would be "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones.

The opening riffs blasted at me while I waited for Lani, my new friend over at NYC transit. I was calling to find out the price ranges for a one month advertising campaign, the first assignment of my new job. They told me at my preliminary meeting (which was intimidating as fuck) not to bring the name of the theater into the conversation - I was just doing some preliminary research.

So, I prepared myself to be vague and coy. The answer to "What company are you with?" was "I'm with a theater company, we're just doing some preliminary research." That line had worked in San Francisco. I was ready and professional. I had forgotten that New Yorkers don't take bullshit for an answer - and my buddy Lani is a New Yorker of the first degree.

Lani: So, what's your company.
Lillian: Oh, it's a theater company. I'm just doing some preliminary research.
Lani: Theater?
Lillian: Yeah. Like art. I'm just doing some preliminary research.
Lani: What's the company?
Lillian: ...it's a theater company
Lani: Which one?
Lillian: Off Off Broadway
Lani: uh huh
Lillian: ....
Lani: Which company?
Lillian: .... (fuck)

What I love is that it was aggressive, but friendly. He was genuinely interested, and wasn't going to take no for an answer. He was open and forceful in the way that born and bred New Yorkers can be kind and pushy, giving you directions as though the very method of getting somewhere were a matter of opinion.

Lani: OK great, what's your name?
Lillian: ... Lillian
Lani: That's a beautiful name, Lillian.
Lillian: ...Oh. Thanks!
Lani: OK, and what's your number?
Lillian: I'm really just doing preliminary...

He said he'd be in touch with me. I got flustered and laughed and told him I really didn't know anything, that I had just started there. He laughed, told me they did a lot of work with Broadway and Film and did I know the New York Film Academy? I did. Then I said I'd be in touch. He said, great, talk to you soon. And I hung up, generally discombobulated.

No comments: